Photo courtesy of Getty Images
#10928_UF Source: Greased Lightning
Staying indoors during the winter months can create clutter and a messy house. But you don't have to do an extreme makeover. You can spruce up a tired-looking home with a few simple cleaning and organizing routines.
- Window blinds collect dust and dust mites all winter. To clean plastic blinds, add Greased Lightning to tub water. Remove blinds and let them soak in the tub. Clean them with a well-bristled brush, then let them dry and rehang them.
- Remove fabric window coverings and clean as needed. Use a feather duster around window frames to remove cobwebs and dust.
- Freshen up carpets by sprinkling baking soda on them, letting it sit for 30 minutes, then vacuuming.
- Carefully wipe the tops and bottoms of ceiling fan blades, which provide a perfect, level surface for dust to collect.
- Clean out the refrigerator and freezer, making sure to get rid of all expired products and old leftovers. Remove shelving and drawers and wipe them down using mild soapy water.
- Tackle your oven, inside and out. Make your stovetop and hood shine like new with a quick wipe from a sponge sprayed with Greased Lightning. If your oven is not self-cleaning, use the cleaning solution to wipe away baked on grease and grime. Remember to make sure the oven is cool before applying the solution.
- Don't forget to clean your dishwasher, too. Remove trapped food particles from the bottom and around any moving parts. Pour a cup of vinegar into the empty dishwasher and run it to clean the inside.
- Wipe down the outside of your cabinets, especially around the stove area.
- Vacuum and mop the floors, and launder any area rugs.
- Launder bed linens — including dust ruffles, bedspreads and pillow shams.
- Move furniture around so you can vacuum underneath and get rid of any dust bunnies that might have accumulated. While you're at it, try a new furniture arrangement to freshen up the look of the room.
- Now's a great time to clean out clothes closets. Empty closets to vacuum and dust inside. Then, before putting clothes back, sort through them and get rid of those items that you don't wear anymore.
- Clean blinds, light fixtures & ceiling fans.
- Wipe down and disinfect all fixtures. Remember lighting fixtures, too. Carefully remove glass fixtures and clean with warm, soapy water. Let them dry thoroughly before reattaching.
- Sort through products and discard or recycle old bottles and containers. Remove items from the medicine cabinet and wipe down all surfaces.
- You can use Greased Lightning to remove grease, grime, mildew stains and soap scum from your bathroom surfaces, including tubs, sinks, toilets, counters and baseboards.
- To get additional tips to spruce up your home, as well as coupons from Greased Lightning, Like them on Facebook, or visit www.glcleans.com.